Review of DIRECTV’s Choice Ultimate Package: Movies Galore
The second largest DIRECTV package, Choice Ultimate ups the ante in a big way when it comes to movies. Compared to the XTRA plan, it delivers 15 new premium channels, including Chiller (all scary movies, all the time), Sundance, Encore (Western, Suspense, Drama, Comedy, etc), The Movie Channel and more; bought separately, the total value for these channels exceed $105. Simply put, whatever your taste in flicks, you’ll never be lacking for options.
Choice Ultimate Plan Features
- Over 250 all-digital channels (55+ in HD)
- Free NFL Sunday Ticket
- Free HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ and Cinemax for 3 full months (the 11 movies listed in the intro above are a permanent part of the plan)
- Free Genie DVR system + 3 Genie minis for additional TVs
- 15 more channels than Total Choice XTRA
- Over 7,000 On Demand shows & movies included (3k more than the Entertainment plan)
- Free Local Channels (available to >99% of US)
- Standard Professional Installation included
Well, movie lovers. However, in addition to all those movies, Ultimate doesn’t skimp on the other major categories. It includes all the channels found in the XTRA plan (which we reviewed as sports-heavy), so you’ll get sports, movies and plenty of reality, music and educational programming as well. For the vast majority of power users, there’s really nothing lacking here, just make sure it fits into your budget…
Total Cost (no extra fees)
$99.99/mo (promo pricing during 1st year)
$142/mo (regular price, 2nd year and thereafter)
DISH plan it most closely compares to
Mix between America’s Top 250 and Everything Pak – it’s closer in price to the Top 250 plan and includes about 90% of the channels found in America’s Everything. Not a bad combo.
For all the reasons above, this is our package of choice. Everyone in our family has their own TV watching preferences (which don’t overlap in the least!) and this plan checks every box… and then some. I get my NFL, the wife her movies and the kids their music and reality shows. Bottom line, if you or a family member seriously enjoys their movies and you need all-around flexible programming at a reasonable price, strongly consider the Choice Ultimate plan.
^ back to top